Current NEWS items:
- Migration Tasmania Skilled Migration Eligibility Checker
- Migration Tasmania Skilled Migration Program Updates
- Migration Tasmania Skilled Migration Frequently Asked Questions
- Migration Tasmania Skilled Migration Document Library
- Migration Tasmania Business Visa Program (information and updates)
Click here to subscribe to future NEWS email updates.
Tasmania's skilled migration program is for people wanting to move to the state who have skills that we need. Skilled migrants are attracted to Tasmania because of the state's enviable lifestyle, career opportunities, affordable housing, reputable schools and a globally recognised university.
The Tasmanian Government actively pursues skilled and business migrants in recognition of the significant contribution migrants make to Tasmania’s economy and cultural diversity.
There are many advantages to being nominated by the Tasmanian Government for a skilled visa. Unlike someone applying for the Skilled Independent visa (subclass 189), you will have:
State nomination gives successful applicants extra points to help meet the 65 points threshold set by the Department of Home Affairs including:
- extra 5 points for the Skilled Nominated visa (subclass 190) visa
- extra 15 points for the Skilled Work Regional (Provisional) visa (subclass 491)
To check your points use the interactive points calculator on the Department of Home Affairs website.
Faster visa processing
Applicants nominated by the Tasmanian Government receive priority processing by the Department of Home Affairs, speeding up the time it takes to be issued a visa, compared to the Skilled Independent Visa (subclass 189).
No occupation ceilings
Tasmanian state nominations have no occupation ceilings. Once you are nominated in SkillSelect you can immediately apply for a visa.